Monday, January 14, 2008

One Week Down 11 to Go


Looks like I've successfully survived week one of the Body for Life Challenge and a wiser man am I . So what did I learn in week one of the challenge?

Lets see, first off eating smaller portions is great when you're eating 6 times a day however even when you're as carnivorous as I, eating a portion of protein 6 times a day can be a challenge itself. Thankfully we have protein powder and because of protein powder we have protein shakes.

Second of all, Cottage Cheese is one diverse mofo! To quote Kenny Rogers, "I was raised on the dairy, b*tch!" (dairy products that it). It was cottage cheese for me, every night growing up but I had no clue that you could put cinnamon in it and eat it with an apple and have it taste so damn good! Also, did you know that lowfat cottage cheese, fat free vanilla yogurt, sugar free/fat free cheesecake pudding mix, grapenuts and strawberries mixed together tastes just like cheesecake? True story. However, I will recommend that you not attempt mix cottage cheese in your oatmeal and eat it!

Third, no matter what your mom tells you, creatine is not a steroid and if you accidentally take too much of it your body will just get rid of it with tens of trips to the bathroom. Make sure to drink lots of water too, you'll get dehydrated. Oh and if you decide to make a trip to the store in this state beware that side-effects may include chewing out other customers who insist on blaming customer service cashiers for ridiculous store policies, indecisiveness and fatigue.

Fourth, the concept of a free day is a great one as is the actual free day itself but don't make plans for what favorite foods you plan on consuming that day. I never thought I'd see the day when a quarter pound burger and onion rings turned into two meals for me but in one week that day seems to have come. Sure, I could have powered the whole meal down but misery wasn't on my agenda for the day.

Fifth, dumbbell lunges suck!

Finally, I suck at cooking and have passed the torch to my favorite chef, Jenn.

Here is a list of my favorite week one foods:


Breakfast Burrito
Green Salad with Chicken Breast
Garlic-Lime Steak
Cheescake-like concoction
Chocolate-Peanutbutter Shake
Sweet Potato with cinnamon
Apples and Cottage Cheese with cinnamon.




All around, I feel better and have much more energy. I have quit coffee by choice, not as part of the diet and have also cut down on my tea consumption. So all is well. I do miss cycling to work every day but do not miss riding home in the dark and having to contend with idiot, psycho motorists. I think I'll hold off on cycling to work until the challenge is over and then go back to my full time schedule. I can already see a change in the definiton of my upper arms and shoulders, my long-sleeve shirts have become a little short in the arms, I guess that this would be a downside to weight training when you have monkey arms like mine but there's a simple solution, It's called short sleeves and when your arms have been puny your whole life it's hard to see a downside to them getting bigger.


Peace!

No comments: