Sunday, April 20, 2008

Return to The Land of the Single Speed

It is said that among what we take for granted in life are the simplest of things that bring us so much pleasure. It is only now that I understand the truth behind such a statement for I have returned from the land of the Fixed Gear, humbled, fatigued, aching and mildly disappointed. Of all the legend of this new way of life, all the excitement, all the lore I have learned that this indeed is not the way for me. For in my conquest, I found myself alone, my plan to acquire the assistance of the team at Collin's was halted when I learned that I was not selected on account of their decision to adhere to their own bureaucratic ways. Determined, I would forgo the journey alone. Sure the Peugeot could not make such a journey in my care alone, I devised a new plan. Such a plan would have to involved the most trustworthy craft of my fleet, the Redline 925. Already thriving in the land of the single-speed she was the only cycle I entrusted my life to on a daily basis.

Upon learning that I would not be assisted by the army of my preference I quickly moved into survival mode, planning out how I would venture into unchartered territory alone with the 925. I had heard by many that such a feat with a craft such as mine would be an utterly easy journey but I was still hesitant to proceeded. I waited patiently for three days and on the fourth day made my move. Unbolting first the rear tire, followed by the chain tensioners and then the fender I proceeded to remove my chain and clean it. Once clean, I flipped the wheel to the side where the fixed cog lay attached to the hub and proceeded to reattach the chain followed by the tensioners, the axle bolts and finally the fender. After some minor adjustments of the chain tensioners, my journey was complete. Setting foot in this new land was yet to come.

I stepped into the pedal clips, quickly, to not be noticed as a foreigner. The first revolution of the pedals was one unimaginable as I felt not a choice but to pedal. Trying to slow the craft was also a new technique as it was nowhere near as simple as the coaster breaking I had experienced on my cruiser back on the Single Speed, in fact pedaling backwards seemed to only slow my momentum minimally and I found my old way of hand-braking a comforting companion. I proceeded down the street, up the hill and back down again. The hills of this world felt slightly different from the hills I had known previously as I felt it almost easier to climb with the momentum of the bike carrying me with the option to stop pedaling absent. Reaching the crest of the hill, I turned to head back in the direction from whence I came. Descending the incline, I felt more in control than I had on descents in the Single Speed but could feel the pressure building on my knees. If anything my brake pads could live a longer life in this land though. After a short journey inland of less than two miles I returned to my home base, resting to contemplate my next move and take in this new experience.

Within hours I began to notice aches in both of my knees obviously brought on by the intense demand of this dark new world. Taking into consideration the history of knee problems plaguing my lineage as well as myself I began to seriously consider my options. Was this pain and suffering worth enduring to find what this place had to offer? Would all this be worth the content life I had loved and left behind? I could not see how and therefore my mind was made up. I would retrace my route and return to the single speed at once.

Only resting the hours I took to contemplate, I wasted no time in heading back in the direction of my home.

When I returned, all was as I had left it. Fatigued, I sat back to take in the view of such a wonderful, simple world. My world. The Single Speed.

No comments: