Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Advocacy for Alternative Commuting

So being back on my bike has inspired me to become more of an advocate for alternative commuting, more specifically cycling which will be the main focus of most of my blahg topics in weeks to come. My main reason being well... I guess I have several reasons-

First and foremost, simplicity. The busyness of todays world has in some way consumed just about all Westerners and many others around the world, yours truly included. Frankly the whole thing disgusts me- people regularly working 50+ hour weeks, not having time for anything including the family that they supposedly work so hard for, hell it's amazing that some even find the time to go SUV shopping for that chariot whose payments depend on that high profile, top priority job. Life is too complicated and in many cases too difficult in today's material world, which we as consumers have had a strong hand in creating. Alternative means of commuting force me to minimize what I perceive are my needs and recognize my true needs in turn making my life simpler.

Environment. The jury is out people. Or is it? Regardless of what you believe has contributed to it, whether it be emissions, mother nature or terra, global warming is real. If you can honestly look me in the eye with a straight face and tell me that you believe that automobile emissions are not harmful for our planet then you are a fool. Enough said.

Fitness. I was recently asked if I ever feel tired after riding to work and my response was this, "From day one it (bike commuting) has never left me tired, only more alert and I have more energy when I get home which I don't if I drive as I literally fight sleep on the drive home. " I will add that I often do get hungry and am ready to eat the moment my feet hit the ground. But in regard to fitness, I did lose some weight on the bike. I can't say for sure how much and I definitely gained some muscle definition in the legs.

Have you seen the price of gas these days? Ya, tell me about it. I bet that you probably already knew that bicycles require no fuel other than the food that you put into your body. Not to mention all dependencies on anyone but yourself are out the window, or rather over the handlebars. Self sufficiency? If you ask me, it definitely has its perks.

Many people won't even turn a cheek to alternative commuting because it's inconvenient or not as cool looking as their Yukon. Seriously, nothing looks more ridiculous that one person driving around in full sized SUV. Now that we've covered that, how about that inconvenience? Say my wife calls and needs me to pick up a loaf of bread on the way home, that's what my messenger bag is for right? Or what about a rear rack? Or ever panniers? Sure not everything about this is convenient but if you do a bit of smart planning it can work. Depending on how far you want to take this, you can get a bike trailer which on average can haul up to 100 lbs.

Realizing that alternative means of transportation are not convenient for everyone, they are convenient for more people than are aware. And while you may live a little too far from work to ride a bike or do not have bus service in their neighborhood, you may want to consider carpooling or hybrid commuting. Driving to the park and ride and taking the bus the rest of the way to work or cycling from the park and ride or cycling to the park and ride and taking the bus the rest of the way. So, I challenge you to explore your options and do your part, who knows you might become obsessed like I did and make a hobby of it.

No comments: