Thursday, March 20, 2008

Gettin Up There


About seven years ago I sat in my office and listened to a colleague spew these words in total seriousness, "He's up there, he's at least thirty!" In reference to another co-worker. While this got a chuckle out of me, others in the room who were "up there" by his standards did not find this statement nearly as amusing. At the time I knew that thirty was coming but had no idea how fast. Well here I am and as I vowed back in January, I am in the best shape of my life. I can also add that for the first time since high school I weigh under 180lbs.

It's been an eventful, emotional and joyful ride to this point having married, had two children, survived one child, adopted two more children, bought a house, sold a house and bought another. For the most part I can say that life has been good to me and although I am still very green I will say that being "up there" feels good.

So what are my plans for the decade of "up there"? Well for one, I would like to waste a lot less time than I did in my twenties which doesn't necessarily mean staying busy so much as making better, more productive use of my time coinciding with taking plenty of time to relax both of which can fall under logging more time on my bicycles, yes that is plural- bicycles.

After suggesting that my wife not buy me anything for my birthday as there is much I want but really nothing that I need; I woke up to a nice musical card (a new tradition in our house). Along with this was a set of bamboo windchimes, larger than the ones that I left at our old house, you can mock me all you want, but I love the sound of these things. It was a nice surprise, I kind of expected the card, but not the chimes. The whole ride home last night I couldn't stop thinking of the Sloppy Joe dinner that awaited me at home, seeming to fuel my already growing hunger. A hunger that was quickly curbed when I routinely arrived at home somewhere between 5:45 and 6pm, put my bike away, hung my helmet, gloves and specs from the bars and went inside. Walking in the entry way to place my bag on top of the shoe caddy by the front door I glanced in the living room and there, with balloons tied to the handlebars, was the Cruiser from REI that I had jokingly suggested to my wife as a birthday idea for me a few weeks back! My wife, being sure that I had already foiled the surprise due to such a track record, continued to quiz me throughout the night as to if I really had no idea which I assured her that I have never been less suspicious of a gift from her. Judging by the sheer width of the tires, it didn't take long to realize that this bike wouldn't be making too many, if any, commutes to work but the initial reason I even suggested such a bike was for family and leisure rides. After a quick spin around the 'hood last night, I really can't wait until sunnier days are here as this is not a bike that I want exposed to the elements, not yet at least.

I have to conclude that getting "Up There" by the McNutt standard has to be one of the best things that has happened to me in years. I hope that McNutt can agree with me on this come next year.

No comments: