Thursday, March 13, 2008

What's Not Fair About Rain

Maybe it has something to do with being one of what seems few Pacific Northwest Residents actually born and raised here but I've always struggeled to understand people's concerns with being out in the rain. Isn't that why they make raingear? I mean, sure if you can stay inside and be dry why not? But that's not always an option, especially for us who have a passion for two-wheeled machinery. Don't like gas prices? Don't like rain? Don't like pollution? Looks like you find yourself in a predicament in which you'll be making a sacrifice. Just ask yourself what's more important.


In my case I don't totally dislike the rain. I will admit that it does get old after some time and it can feel somewhat depressing when you haven't seen the sun in a couple of weeks but what's really that bad about it, especially if you have the proper gear? It seems like since I've been back on the bike for the last week, half of the days have been totally dry until 5 p.m. or just before which just so happens to be when I leave work. Not to worry, I always commute prepared. Taking up residence in my messenger bag are gortex rainpants, a cycling rain jacket, and rain booties (see my gear list). Depending on how hard I ride, I remain dry for the most part with the exception of occaisonal perspiration on the inside of my gear but this time of year the air tends to be a little cooler so the perspiration is minimal.
What about the commute to work? If it's raining or the roads are wet enough to kick up spray from passing cars, I don the rain gear and pack my work clothes in my messenger bag. *Tip whether it be your rain gear or work clothes, you can maximize space in your bag by individually rolling your clothes up tightly. I have yet to arrive at work and discover wrinkled clothes in my bag.* When I arrive at work, I change in the locker room which can also be done in the restroom if you do not have access to a locker room. If my raingear tends to be wet I keep it out of the bag, of course, and hang it to dry at my desk (I have a small step ladder that I use for this, hangers also work well) and by the time 5:00 rolls around my gear is dry and ready to either wear home or go back in the bag depending on the weather. I'm always sure to carry an extra plastic bag as the booties tend to get gritty and dirty and if I'm not wearing them home this helps to avoid getting the inside of my bag and its contents dirty.

I prefer Gore-Tex rainpants as they are breathable, durable and do an excellent job repelling the rain. As far as my jacket, I only wear a light cycling jacket which is easy to bundle under on colder days and bright yellow so that I am visible to motorists. Being of lighter fabric, the jacket does not keep me 100% dry in heavier rains, the arms tend to get a little wet but I don't mind that as long as the rest of the torso, legs and feet stay dry. The rain booties, handmade at the Center for Appropriate Transport right here in Eugene, have been my best raingear investment as to me a pair of dry feet are nearly priceless.

Many may not see the need for sunglasses unless the sun is shining as I encounter numerous other bike commuters, daily, not wearing eye protection. Next to a helmet, I strongly believe that eye protection is the most important piece of gear that a cyclist should wear, especially if you're sharing roads with automobiles. I can't tell you how many times I've taken a bug on the glasses at high speeds, thankfully cleaning glasses is a lot less painful and cheaper than a trip to the doctor. I wear optics with a yellow tint (see my gear) which help to draw in light in lower-light conditions and block UV rays as well as hold down glare on sunnier days. Believe it or not, optics help in the rain also, allowing me to see better as I do not have to squint to avoid stinging raindrops in my eyes. Rain usually tends to bead up and slide off the glasses and impaired vision is rarely an issue. As far as fogging up of the glasses, the only time I've had a problem with this is during longer intervals at stop lights. A little bit of dish soap applied without water and buffed clean can help against fogging. I have also found specs to be especially convenient on cold, dry mornings; keeping my eyes from watering.

Now, you have one less excuse to keep you off the bike so get out there and ride!

1 comment:

Apertome said...

Hi there, what kind of gore-tex pants do you use? Personally I know good rain gear exists, but a lot of it is expensive, and so I don't have it.